- Navigate to the image in the image library where it is stored.
- Click on the image so that you see the "item view" of the image. The default attributes such as Name, Title, and Preview will show up, along with an attribute called Thumbnail Preview.
- The link to the Thumbnail Preview is not easily exposed, but you can "cheat" and find it by right clicking on the image and then selecting Properties.
- Select the entire contents of the Address (URL) field shown in the thumbnail image properties. Be sure to keep scrolling in the Address (URL) field until you have captured the complete URL for the thumbnail. You will know if you have it right if you see _jpg.jpg at the end.
- You can then paste this "secret" URL in a hyperlink column in your list and the link will show the thumbnail, not the image preview.
You can also create the link to the Thumbnail on your own by inserting the characters _t/ in front of the file name and the characters _jpg immediately after the file name in the default image URL as shown below:
Link to default image preview:
Link to Thumbnail for the same image:
SharePoint Governance: To get started, it’s important to have the right conversations!